Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Someone told me: DON'T use 87 octane except for lawnmowers and Hyundai Excels. I have a truck. Is this true?

I have a '95 Ford Ranger. I was asking about what the best gas stations are and this person said that about 87 octane fuel to use only on lawnmowers and I don't even know what a Hyundai Excel is. I know Hyundai makes cars and crotch rockets and several other things with engines in them, but I don't know what an Excel is and I don't much care. I just want to know if this statement has any vailidity to it or if it's pure b.s.Someone told me: DON'T use 87 octane except for lawnmowers and Hyundai Excels. I have a truck. Is this true?
use the cheapest fuel you can. If the truck starts to rattle go one grade higher. A 95 truck is new enough to have computer controled spark advance. so long as your knock sensor and coolant temp sensor are working burn whatever gasoline you want to. Some people think higher octane means more power in the fuel. nope it is not like that, it is just more resistant to preignition (knocking, ping) in high compression engines. Why waste money on high octane when you don't need to.Someone told me: DON'T use 87 octane except for lawnmowers and Hyundai Excels. I have a truck. Is this true?
in general you are better off using higher octanes in older cars. your someone is mostly bs -- your truck isn't going to fall apart but it would be happier if you increased its octane.
Most standard performance vehicles are designed to operate on 87 octane fuel. If premium is recomemned it will usually have a decal on the fuel guage and gas cap instructing you to use premium fuel for best performance. Also, your vehicle is equiped with a knock or detonation sensor that will adjust timing according to fuel quality. Your 95 Ranger should run just fine on regular 87 octane fuel.
If your vehicle's owners manual doesn't require high octane fuel then you SHOULDN'T be using it as it will create knocks in your engine.
Excel should run fine with 87 octane, if the engine starts to ping then use the next higher grade.
The owner's manual for your truck will tell you what octane you need. If you don't have the manual, all a Ford dealer and ask.
Hyundai Excel is a crappy Korean car. THing about Octane 87 is not true, I have been using it in my car for several years now, and have not gotten any problems, neither do I know anyone else who did.
Using Higher then 87 will not hurt any engine...... of course (like yours) most street engines are built to run off 87..... your wasting money on the premuim...
pure BS ,87 is fine

No comments:

Post a Comment